Monday, May 11, 2009

We are all just a step away.....

"We are all just an accident, a tumor, or a bad investment from standing in line for free soup", believe it or not I got that quote from Desperate Housewives. Yes, I am a victim to the drama on Wysteria Lane, but you have to admit that is a good quote! My cousin recently had a revelation that some of the people surrounding her are a bit pretentious. We probably all float through life at some point thinking tragedy cannot touch our lives. We feel for those that tragedy has stuck, but we never think about it striking our lives. Goodness, knows I didn't think I would go into a sonogram to hear my baby had brain damage. From there is was a roller coaster of trickling effects that were passed down the line. So I guess we should all stop once in awhile, and be grateful for what we have, regardless of any situation we are in. I always think about how grateful I am for my family, my house, and my health.

Anyway, Jude is still having some spasms, but they are very spread out. I know this is due to decreasing the Depakote by 1ml. Once we can get him accustomed to increasing the dosage I expect the seizure activity to stop. The therapist came yesterday to work with Jude, but Jude would again have no part of it. She said she thinks Jude is beginning to realize who she is, and is protesting working because someone likes to hold him all the time. I have NO idea who she is referencing?!? Anyway, the vision therapist was suppose to come with her, but yet again they didn't show. We have now been waiting on vision therapy for three months! I am beginning to get rather irritated with them, and that is NEVER a good thing. The therapist also made reference to Jude's increase in picking his head up. She explained that lifting his head when it starts to fall shows brain activity. Jude is beginning to understand he needs to keep his head up so he is working on achieving that goal. This was great news for us.

When I got home last night I sat Jude in his high chair while I did the dishes, and folded laundry. I then grabbed the camera to snap a few shots. He spit out his paci, and smiled like he knew what I was doing. I got some smile pics, but I liked the "dropping the paci" pic more.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I then gave Jude a bath, and talked with Emily about her day. Emily received her published book about Jude's trip to the hospital. She had taken it to school, and her teacher asked if he could show it to the principal. Emily was so honored she came home just raving about her day. Since I get paid on Friday we are about to get started on her smile boxes, and get her website up. I will post the address as soon as I get the link.



Ps ~ Be sure to stop by www.ourfamviews.com

6 comments:

Purple Quilter Queen said...

That is so cool how Emily is getting involved. You've raised a good girl. Jude looks so "innocent" in that pic too. hehe I think he knew exactly what he was doing spitting out that paci. Sweet baby!

Anonymous said...

Great pic!
Great news!

Katy said...

Emily is really amazing!

You know, I hated Charlie's vision therapist so much that we did vision activiites ourselves at home. Maybe you could try some stuff at home. I even wrote one of them over on blissfully domestic if you wanted to check it out.

Laura Marchant said...

Oh I just want to pick him up! He is such a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Hey just a tip, those smileboxes are a great idea. You may want to consider using those spinwheels. You know it's on a long stick and is made of a shiny type material, paper. When you blow on them they twirl around like a windmill/spinwheel. So happy to hear Jude's holding up his head more and more!!!! So exciting! Hope the meds get him back on track and hope this helps. Those vision therapists need to get their butts out to Jude and so I'll keep ya'll in my prayers that you don't have to wait much longer!

Rich said...

Sorry to hear about your vision therapy troubles... Because Jude is little I don't know who you deal with; but you could try your local Association for the Blind... (Not that he's blind), they help with vision things.

Just to also add, it took me almost 3-months on a list to start receiving my adult Orientation and Mobility (travel skills for blind people)... Elaine is the ONLY O&M for adults in our county... But she's so nice!

She helping a little boy now, with CP, he's about 10... His mom called her, because the school O&M was "ignorant and abusive" *sigh*... Little dude even has a Companion Dog from CCI, that is COOL! - I'm really glad she's helping his family...