Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Medication frenzy

Last night we ran out of the Axid which was taking the place of the Prevacid due to the recent pharmacy disaster I blogged about. I realized there were refills on the Axid, so I called to talk to the pharmacist. I asked her to check the total co-pay that we would have to muster to purchase his medication. I figured it was the normal $60, but she said she was once again going to try the MDC program's medicaid. After a long wait she said she had been entering the code wrong this entire time, and did get the medication through. She apologized profusely, and I assured her that it was okay. So we picked up our first medication without any out of pocket expense, and it was such a relief! If I could start a foundation that helps parents financially when a child is sick, I would.

While we were vacationing in Arkansas this weekend I let Emily pick one item to bring home with her. She decided on an illustory book, which was an excellent decision. Basically this amazing little invention allows your child to become a published author. It comes with several pages to write a story on and then you must provide illustrations for your story. Emily dedicated a night to writing her story, and then she and her little cousin carefully drew the pictures to correlate. Emily again wrote an amazing story about Jude, that I will share below. She is such an amazing little girl, and I love her very much. Please enjoy Em's story, and please remember she is only ten.

"Liquid or Pills?" by Emily

"GREAT JUDE! but now don't throw up" my mom says. You see, my mom loves Jude, but Jude has seizures. We have him him on medication, and he is on a pill form. He went to the hospital when I was at school, and I was really worried about him. The doctor was coming, but he didn't make it before we left. Then suddenly Jude threw up on my step dad. My mom cried because she couldn't stay with Jude so she sang, "Somewhere over the rainbow" instead.
It's stressful, but I can count on my mom to always take care of me. Then finally the doctor comes and says, "The problem is he is getting to much of the medication", "So what do we do" my step dad says. "We give him a liquid form instead of a pill" the doctor says. So we get him on the liquid form, and wait, and wait, and wait, and now he is OKAY! He now has no seizures! He smiles at you, and talks. He's seven months old and healthy. I love you Jude, and I hope I inspire you as much as you inspire me.

Here is a picture from her story:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

Bronx Cataldo's said...

She is a smart little girl wise beyond her years. Well done Emily.

Isn't it great not to have to pay for the meds. Its a total sanity saver.
The Cats in the Bronx

Laura Marchant said...

How cute is this!

Katy said...

that story made me a little teary-eyed!

Anonymous said...

I am constantly impressed by Emily!!!

BTW, we changed from Axid to Prevacid and it works much better for Parker.

- Amy (Turtlemom)