Monday, March 23, 2009

Doctor update

Jude did very well at his doctor visit, but we were correct that the doctor prescribed Depakote. Mike is currently on his way to get Jude's medication filled, and we will start the new doses tonight. Let's all pray they stop his seizures, without any side effects. Overall the doctor said Jude looked very well, so we are pleased to hear that.

So I received a call today that Jude was approved for the MDCP, and that all the final paperwork is in. They asked me to find the nursing home we want to stay at over night for our qualification, and to pick a home health agency. She said that for thirty days we must go through the home health agency, and then we can take over being the payee to the provider. Since Mike's mom is going to be our sitter she has to go through a TB test, and other crazy requests. I am a bit overwhelmed with all of this today, and I am unsure what steps to take. To be honest with you I am unsure exactly what all this program will cover. I am told it's wonderful though, and that we won't have to pay out of pocket for medical anymore. Now, if this could have happened 10k ago that would have been great...ha! We are thankful though. It sounds like it will be a couple more weeks until this is all in place, but at least we are moving forward.

On another note we have to pick someone to be Jude's guardian in the event of our deaths. This has been a struggle for us because we are not just asking someone to take our child, we are asking someone to take a special needs child. I have an abundance of life insurance so the party would have financial security for him, but still. So I think we came to a conclusion, and we plan to talk to that party tonight. We must then get a will drawn up, and change our beneficiaries.

Anyway, I am looking forward to going home, and seeing my family.

3 comments:

Mara said...

Jen- I am so happy to hear about MDCP. It will be a blessing ! No more co-pays. Just a few more bumps in the road. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I just recently came across your blog. I'd love to get in touch with you. My e-mail address is evadogero@yahoo.com
Thankyou,
Eva
proud mom of Luke 6 yrs bilateral closed lipped schizencephaly

The Wacky Whittons said...

Jen, I would invest in a trust over a will. Just from working in that field before, a trust is secure, a will can be contested. It takes forever to settle an estate in a will. A trust is done within 72 hours. I know it is a bit more money then a will, but I would definately consider that a benefit. I am so glad that everything is coming together for Jude's care. I will keep thinking about him and the success of the Depakote. Maybe you will get that much desired and needed sleep soon!