Saturday, September 4, 2010

a scary day

What a day! So last night we were woken up by a very cranky Jude. I took care of him from ten until 2:30 while Mike slept then Mike took Jude to the living room so I could sleep for awhile. Jude finally fell asleep, only to wake up again about 4am with a barky cough. I immediately thought it might be croup, but it wasn't that bad............yet. Things quickly escalated from a cough, to a serious situation. Jude didn't really want to wake up this morning, and again was having problems with his cough. Mike was finally able to get about an ounce of formula in him, but then Jude fell back to sleep again.

Finally Jude woke up, and sounded like a GOOSE! He was honking, and barking, and sounded terrible. I immediately called 911! I didn't feel comfortable transporting him to the hospital without a professional monitoring his stats. When the paramedics arrived Jude's blood ox was only 77, his fever was 103.9, and his heart rate was soaring. I remained calm until we got to the ER, and I noticed his hands, and feet were beginning to mottle, and the nurse noticed this too. Then I had a panic moment, and asked everyone to pray. After constant oxygen, a bag of fluid, and medication they got Jude's blood oxygen level up some.The ER was amazing, and constantly had someone in our room watching Jude. They seemed very concerned about the situation. Then Jude went into a thirty minute seizure with a heart rate of 235 so that prompted an EKG, but we refused emergency seizure medications. They don't ever do anything for Jude, and I don't see a reason to over medicate him.

Since the bag of fluid Jude seems more alert. When we arrived he was so out of it, and not responding at all. They were asking me when we arrived if Jude being so limp was normal, but I assured them it wasn't. Jude wouldn't even open his eyes, smile, or respond, and that is not like him. I am currently sitting here beside him in our assigned hospital room, and he thankfully seems much better. I am even getting a few Jude smiles, and a few mutterings of "up". They are still trying to determine the exact cause of the issue. They think it's either RSV, or croup. At first they thought it was either pneumonia, or bronchitis, but they ruled those out.

So we had to cancel Jude's birthday party for tomorrow. We are sad, but yet again Jude will touch those in need. Mike going home in the morning to pick up all the goodie bags, coloring books, and ten Emily's Smile Boxes. We will pass those out to the kids on Jude's floor. Also, my aunt and cousin retrieved Jude's cake, and we will share that as well.


3 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Praying for a fast recovery.

mom2nji said...

My Gosh Jen. My heart, prayers and thoughts are with you all. SO scary.

Keri said...

Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you and Jude. I know from experience these situations are very scary. Earlier this year, my son Logan, was hospitalized for RSV with some exact symptoms you described with Jude. Crazy, Logan's episode started with croup and escalated to RSV. Ugh, my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Love your plans to share Jude's birthday with the kiddos on his floor. I bet that will just make their day. Hope he feels better and is able to enjoy his special day despite the circumstances.