Friday, September 3, 2010

The hospital call

The hospital just called to go over all the instructions for Jude's surgery on Wednesday. It was rather surreal talking to them. I thought I was okay with the idea of the upcoming surgery, but I got rather emotional on the phone. The nurse went down his medications, his medical history, and his medical needs. Then she got to the end, and she asked if there was anything else they should know.

"He gets very scared sometimes" I said
"What can we do to help with that?" she asked
"Maybe warm blankets to nuzzle him so he feels like he is still being held" I said a bit teary.
"You bet, we will make that happen" she replied.
"Anything else?" she asked
"He doesn't like taking medication by mouth" I said
"Then we will give sprays, or by IV" she said

She was very nice, and calmed my fears a little, but I am pretty sure I will be a mess on Wednesday.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I know this is a scary time for you, but he's going to come through this with flying colors, you'll see! He's a strong, determined little guy who's overcome so much already. I'll be thinking about you and Mike on Wednesday, and especially Juders, but this is going to be a positive thing for all of you, I have faith!

Gilda said...

Sorry this is so emotional for you, I get the scary part of having surgery that can make anyone nervous. I will be praying for you all and the doctors for god to guide them all the way.Your a strong woman and Jude is an extraordinary baby all will go well!

jocalyn said...

i completely understand. and its ok for you to fall apart. go for a bike ride...cry it out...

but i promise...this is the right thing to do. sounds like he's in good hands. you guys will be in my thoughts.

going to sleep at night knowing your child has received all his medication, nutrition, and hydration is a wonderful thing :)

Erin said...

Jenn,
I will be thinking of you guys all week. Praying that everything goes smoothly.

MEME said...

YOUR LITTLE FELLOW IS PRETTY THIN,I KNOW YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING! I KNOW ITS HARD I WENT THROUGH FOUR VERY MAJOR SPINE SURGERIES WITH MY SON THE LONGEST ELEVEN HOURS LONG AND I LEARNED ONE THING THAT THESE DARLING CHILDERN ARE IN THE ARMS OF GOD AND HE IS VERY LOVING! I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU ALL WED.I KNOW GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM. OH YES HAPPY BIRTHAY JUDE!!!

mom2nji said...

Praying it goes perfectly. Your feelings are 100% understandable. Surgery itself is scary and then the added fear of living with the gbutton. You have tried so hard to avoid it and done all you could. This is the right thing. Everything will be okay. Hugs and prayers.