Friday, July 30, 2010

Blood test

So this morning I put a call into Jude's pediatrician. We still have not changed doctors yet because I have been unable to find someone that will accept the medicaid. Anyway, I told him the whole story. I explained I wasn't in panic mode yet, and that this could simply be a lab error.

He was very nice, and said he would help me even tho I changed doctors. I advised him I haven't changed doctors, and then he mentioned I requested records. I advised him that's because I was fighting for the nurse, and we won her. Anyway, he said we had reason to be concerned, and he would draw orders for a full lab ticket. He said he wanted a CBC, liver enzymes, and iron tests. He said the iron deficiency test would advise us if this was food related, or something else. If it's "something else" then we have to start figuring out "what". He advised he would request the tests "Stat" but he couldn't promise they would be back today.

Basically the test Jude had yesterday was this:

This test checks your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels. Hemoglobin is an iron-rich protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to the body. Hematocrit is a measure of how much space red blood cells take up in your blood. A low level of hemoglobin or hematocrit is a sign of anemia.

We know he has anemia, so we just have to figure out why. Hopefully this is food related. Felbatol was our last option in seizure medications, according to the dr. I guess the others aren't as strong, and just won't treat the type of seizures he has.

So we are not so patiently waiting to hear back. I will keep everyone posted.

3 comments:

~Amy Rose said...

Jenn....little Jude is in our POSITIVE thoughts and prayers today!

~Amy Rose said...

Jenn....little Jude is in our POSITIVE thoughts and prayers today!

Debbie said...

Sorry you are going through this ...

nothing worse than the "wait and see" game

All of you are in thought and prayer for best case results!