Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The big C.

I discovered we were out of milk rather late in the night so I had to run up to the convenience store at about 8:30pm. Emily decided to tag a long and so did our Yorkie Poo, Bigs. We had a near disaster when tiny Bigs (5 lbs) tried to jump into my SUV and fell out yelping in pain (I mean drama horrible awful something broke yelping). Emily and I both panicked with fear and ran Bigs inside the house only to discover he was walking just fine and ready to play (thank goodness). So we left Bigs at home and proceeded to head the short distance it would take to grab some Milk.
On our way there Emily casually says "Did you know (name withheld) has cancer?"
Me: I had no idea
Em: yea...I guess she had it twice before and has it again
Me: So she was in remission?
Em: Yes
Me: Is it Leukemia?
Em: I am not sure......I think so
Me: Well............(pausing) you need to be there for her to support her. Be the best friend you can.
Em: She says it's okay because it's only stage 2 and she won't lose her hair this time
Me: (swallows hard and is speechless) I wanted to say something intelligent about Emily's capability of understanding medical situations and truly being there for her friend. I wanted to say how amazed I was at this girls response......but for the first time I really didn't know what to respond to Emily. I thought about how brave that little girl was to say those words to Emily. "It's okay.... it's only stage 2". Then I realized she probably knows more about her illness than any of us could understand because she has been through it. It's like what we deal with in regards to Jude. I can spout off medical terminology, stats, and more when Jude has an emergency. This little girl is facing yet another new normal and probably knows exactly what lays in front of her. So I sat down tonight and realized that when you deal with a chronic medical situation you don't want people to feel sorry for you. You want those who understand your situation to acknowledge your fight. Those who don't understand.........well you hope they never do.

Despite our situation with Jude I cannot even imagine going through a cancer struggle with my child three times.......but I would. It's one of those situations where I am sure she and her parents hear "I don't know how you do it". Um because it's their child and to them they have no choice and she knows to fight! She is truly an amazing girl and I know she will come through this with amazing colors. I try to be the supportive mom but I am a bit quiet around Em's friend sometimes. However, that doesn't mean I don't sit back and think "That girl is a really great girl". We have her in our prayers and we hope you will too! So even though I am quiet ....I have no doubt Emily's friend will conquer this disease again and this will be the final time she has to deal with it. In Jesus name!



Ps. I miss my friends. It is hard for me to grab girl time so let's try to get together. \out!

No comments: