Monday, August 17, 2009

A hospital and home

We are home, and I feel like I have been through a war because I am so tired. Although, like I said........we are home, it's good to be at home.

Here is the full update. I got up this morning early and tried to feed Jude, but was unsuccessful. Jude just didn't look right again, his lips were chapped, his mouth was dry, and overall he wasn't my lil baby boy. Mike was going to try to feed him when I was leaving, and we both made the decision he needed to go to the hospital. I got in my car to go to work to get things wrapped up for the day so I could leave, and on my way there I burst into tears. I felt panicked, and not myself, and I called Mike. Mike sounded a bit panicked too, and just said he thinks Jude needs fluids. I made my calls to the neuro, and to the pediatrician. Our wonderful pediatrician Dr Scott calmed me down. I explained I feel like this all could have been handled Saturday. He agreed, but said "Not to excuse anyone by any means, but I don't think Jude is at the point of no return yet". He then explained he feels Jude really needs fluids, and once he has them he will eat better. I then talked in detail with the neuro's office, and they called ahead to the ER for us. That didn't do much good because we waited almost 2 hours to get in, but they rushed Jude back when he had a seizure. The doctor had sent us to Dallas Medical City Childrens hospital, so this was different from the hospital Sat, but the same as the one where Jude had his EEG.

A nurse came in and greeted us right away, and then a very nice Nurse practitioner came in. They both sat down, and talked to us.........and listened. I wish I could give some type of life coach speeches to doctor's about how important it is to LISTEN to your patients, and their parents. We told them the whole long story about how Jude ran a fever close to 104 for 3 days, how he then started refusing food, our trip to the ER, the diminished breath sounds, and more. I told them I really felt Jude needed an IV Sat, but the doctor never gave him one. They both shook their heads, and they began to listen to his chest. The nurse practitioner nodded her head positive, and said "Yes I hear diminished breath sounds too". Then the primary doctor came in and listened, and Jude was then signed up for blood, Iv's, and another chest X ray. It was a long drawn out process, but we felt like we were in good hands. The IV was a NIGHTMARE, and I think it was rather hard for them to find a good vein for awhile. Once they got the IV in, and Jude got his drip he immediately looked different. His heart rate went down, his color looked better, and he began to smile!!! After about an hour into the drip we tried to feed Jude, and he GOBBLED down 6 ounces. It was the best sound I have ever heard. All of a sudden I realized I had not been over dramatic about the situation because I saw tears falling from Mike's eyes. He said "I just couldn't handle losing him, it's the best sound I have ever heard" (the sound sof Jude eating).

After awhile the pediatric nurse practitioner came back in. She again sat down but this time to go over all the results. She said the X ray did show that Jude had a viral infection in his lungs that had possibly infiltrated to pneumonia. She said it was a great thing we had gotten the Ceftin, and it looked like the antibiotic was starting to fight off the infection. She ordered another bag of IV fluids, and said she would check back a little later. Before she left I said "In other words the nurse at the other hospital was 100% correct, and so was I because he needed an iv". She smiled, and Mike looked angry about the situation.

Jude continued to look so much better the more fluid he got into him. He had 1 wet diaper, and even went to the restroom. He ate another 1/2 ounce, and his stats looked wonderful. We breathed a little easier. Jude's seizures had increased due to the lack of medication but I feel like we are old pro's at handling those demons. So they came back in and gave us the all clear if we felt like going home. She instructed us to continue the Ceftin, work on getting fluids in, and follow up in the morning at 10am with his doctor. We felt comfortable enough to leave because he was well hydrated. When we got home Jude refused a bottle and his medication again, but this could just be a residual effect.

I want to personally thank all our friends, and family for checking on Jude today. I feel like there were people that were genuinely as terrified as we were. If you had seen Jude you would have understood why we were so upset, and needed comfort. Again, thank you everyone including our wonderful neighbors that kept Em, Michelle at Children's, and our great friends that texted all day. It seems our little one got the help he needed to tackle this illness, and get over the hump. Also thank you to my work who worked with me today.

Now I am just praying this is nothing that neurologically affected him (can that happen?), and Jude gets back to 100% himself!


Midwest Mommy said...

Oh I am so happy! Keep fighting Jude!

Adelas said...

I heard about Jude via twitter RT's. I came and read this latest post, plus your summary over there on the left.

Not to totally ignore the entire point of the blog or why I came here but - OMG! someone else in the Dallas area that hangs out in my corner of the blogosphere ("my corner" meaning I notice a bunch of blogs in your list that I also frequent). I'm up in Plano. Which side of town are you on? I just followed you on twitter so you can DM me if you like.

Candace said...

Thank you, Father, for helping this angel boy. Give his parents confidence in their intuition and strength to do what you would have them do. Bless this child and his parents. Please keep your Mighty Hands on him as he heals. In YOUR HOLY NAME.... AMEN.

jocalyn said...

So glad he's on the mend. That was scary. (and another example to all of us to always go with our mommy instincts!) Let us know if you need anything. Go get some rest.

A Girl Named Me said...

I'm so glad to hear that he's feeling better. Let's hope he continues to improve and is back to his wonderful self very soon. xoxo

Laurie Pace said...

Our prayers are always with you. One day at a time, one moment at a time. That is all we are given. He is such a blessing.

Mara said...

Jenn- I am so glad to hear Jude is doing better- ya'll have been in our prayers ! Wish we werent far away ! send ((hugs))

Linda said...

Jenn, we're so grateful he's doing better. We love you guys, and if you need anything just let us know!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

So glad to hear that Jude is doing better. He's such a little fighter! Good Job Jude! Jenn