Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Jude's Tuesday update

Jude didn't have a great night. Around 3:30am I heard him choking and his alarms going off so I got up to see what was going on. The nurse had given him his Ativan through the mouth and it made him choke. Hospice had asked us to give it sublingual but the dosage has changed and I think it's just to much for him. Therefore, I have been giving the medication through the tube and so has Charlotte. So we are going to ask the night nurse to give it through the tube from now on. Throughout the rest of the morning I could hear Jude's alarms going off. I ended up over sleeping this morning because I was very tired and when I got up Jude was asleep too. He was also retracting (using his stomach muscles to breath) pretty badly. 

Charlotte explained she couldn't hear any breath sounds in Jude's right lungs. She did a breathing treatment that helped some but she said at this time Jude is still asleep and his breath sounds are diminished on that side. Of course I wonder if he aspirated the medication into that lung, but he also tends to lay on that side more frequent than the left. He still cannot handle laying for long on his left side and his stats always drop. He does well in the wheelchair for about 2 hours, but that's the max he will generally tolerate. 

He isn't running a fever which is positive, but you can tell he isn't feeling well.  


No comments: