Tuesday, August 12, 2014

When we lose a celebrity we feel we know

You know the old quote. “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”

I don't know anyone that personally knew Robin Williams, but I knew a lot of people who felt they did. Most of the children of the 70's felt we grew up with him as a member of our family. He gave us laughs when we felt we didn't have any laughs left. He touched our hearts throughout his entire career. I was shocked when I heard the news that he had passed and felt that it couldn't be real. Then I remembered a conversation I had with my ex husbands grandmother. I was staying at her house the morning it was announced Princess Diana died. If you know me at all you know she was an idol to me.

I remember tearing up and saying.
"but she can't be dead!"
In her old firm but honest voice his grandmother quickly snipped, "well of course she can honey she is human just like you and me!" I gasped and realized...........she was right!

The people we put on pedestals are sometimes suffering just as much as the rest of us are. I have dealt with loss of suicide personally and touched in it on my blog. The signs are normally there. So take the time over the course of your life to reach out. Tell people you love them, protect those that are being bullied, say thank you when it's warranted, and remember every life is precious.

Rest in Peace Robin. Thank you for the laughs and the tears.


Ps. more coming on Jude after his cardiology appointment Thursday.

No comments: