Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Eat baby!

When I got home from work yesterday Mike was exasperated from trying to feed Jude all day. He was honestly at his wits end. Being a special needs parent does not make you saintly, and doesn't mean you are patient all the time. We are far from perfect, and we do get frustrated sometimes, which I believe is understandable. Sometimes we feel selfish, sometimes we get frustrated, and sometimes we just don't know what to do. So I scooped Jude up, and took him downstairs for a change in scenery, and to relieve from stress from both he, and Mike.

It took me about 45 minutes, but I did get four ounces down him, and then he wanted to play a bit. I watched him as he laughed at the air, and wondered if he was just happy, or if that was some type of response from his brain. I choose to think he is a very happy baby.

So luckily last night Mike got 4 ounces down him at midnight, and he then stirred at 2am but didn't wake. He then got up at 4:15am, and took two ounces, and another 6 ounces at 7am. So the good news is he is eating again, but the bad news is Mike, and I are very tired. I will take tired over having a dehydrated baby in the hospital any day!


4 comments:

jocalyn said...

oh we feel your pain. It sucks. The lack of eating stresses me out more than anything else. My husband is better at being patient, but when Kendall is in one of her moods, I have to eaither have a glass of wine in my hand or a cup of coffee (depending on the time of day!)
Any word from the Nutritionist through ECI? They may have some suggestions like adding chocolate syrup or sweetener to make him more interested. Kendall eats a number of foods now with salsa (Yes salsa) because it helps her "notice" the food more. Also, I know he's not a year yet, but have you tried giving him yogurt to switch it up? Maybe make a fruit and yogurt smoothie? Kendall loves those things. (which is a whole other issue since we are starting the Ketogenic diet in a few weeks...and she'll have to get her sweet tooth under wraps!)
Hang in there...

mom2nji said...

Glad to hear he is eating. I am sorry you are tired. ((((((hugs))))))

mommy2twindaughters said...

Hi. I found your blog today through momswhoblog. I have spent time reading as much as I can and I love this place! I have a baby (Well, she will be 3 this month) that has the same disabilities as Jude. She suffered a stroke and has CP, Cortical Vision Impairment, Microcephly, Epilepsy. We have dealt with the Infantile Spasms and thankfully we got those under control and she has been seizure free for a year. I can't wait to come back tonight and read more! God bless you and your family and thank you for sharing your story with us :)

JohnAndJennB@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Jude is eating better.
Parker laughs at the air too. I think it is normal (what is normal) behavior. Sometimes I laugh at nothing and people probably think I'm crazy.
Interesting recommendations from Jocalyn. You'll have to tell us if you tried these...

Parker & Amy Hendrix