Monday, August 13, 2018

I got the flumonia..........ain't nobody got time for that!

Well, I thought I would give you an update on the great sickness which is on day 18. My symptoms continued to get worse and progressed into the following: 

Facial paralysis
Slurred speech
Very loud ear ringing
Extreme Fatigue
Flulike symptoms
Dizzy
Headache
Blurred vision

There is more but you get the gist! This caused me to go back to the doctor where I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. The general consensus has been, "What the F is that?" Exactly

"Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) is a rare neurological disorder characterized by paralysis of the facial nerve (facial palsy) and a rash affecting the ear or mouth. Ear abnormalities such as ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and hearing loss may also be present. Ramsay Hunt syndrome is caused by the varicella zoster virus (VZV), the same virus that causes chickenpox in children and shingles in adults. In cases of Ramsay Hunt syndrome, previously inactive (dormant) varicella-zoster virus is reactivated and spreads to affect the facial nerve."

Saturday was so horrible I wound up in a total breakdown screaming at my husband while in the bath and posting a large rant on Facebook. I know better than this but I did it anyway. That turned into a menagerie of messages so I just decided to post updates on my blog to help those who are so sweet and have asked for updates. 

Sunday I still didn't feel well and that morning I decided I DON'T want to live like this. There are people that live years with this condition and I realized that even though I don't want to have it I do have it. So I have committed myself to say no when I need to, to de-stress, to take time off work when needed, and to treat myself to more relaxation.  I have also happily accepted the prayers people have offered and believe they work. Then on Sunday night I started feeling less flulike. When I say I felt bad enough I thought I might not be able to continue working, I mean it. So I truly wanted to turn a few flips on Sunday night in my yard. However, after I cooked dinner I went and sat back down. I am learning to rest and trust me that it is an education and a lesson I have to learn. Today I came into work at 9:30 even though I wanted to push myself to go in at the regular time. I stopped several times for breaks from the computer screen and although my eye is dropping again and the swelling is there I still don't feel as fluish and that I am very grateful for. 

Looking back this was coming on for months I believe. I remember just not feeling right and feeling very tired. So as a society do we all need to take more time to listen to what our body and mind are trying to tell us? I know I do! 

I am continuing my meds, seeing my chiropractor, and learning to rest. I am learning to read my body like right now when the ringing in my ears picks up and I get more tired, it means go home Jenn. This has been a spiritual lesson for me too and I have no doubt a new journey. Hope everyone is well! We are approaching Jude's tenth birthday and we will be going somewhere beautiful again to celebrate him. 

No comments: