Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Emily's Smile Boxes, Jude, and myself

The Valentines Emily's Smile Box party was this past weekend and it was a huge success. We had a large turn out and 200 boxes were made for local pediatric hospitals. Here is a little peak into the day. 





Just is still having congestion issues and he has been running an intermittent fever but as you can see he is still very happy. He knows he is loved and well cared for so he is a happy boy. 



I myself am not so happy. I think in America we have a stigma regarding mental health and people are afraid to speak up. So seeing how I write this blog to help others in a similar situation I am readily admitting this year has taken a huge toll on me. I look at myself in the mirror and I don't even recognize myself. The years of dealing with a high stress intense situation has caught up to me. I have gained weight, I am tired, I soothe myself with wine, the stress is resting in my shoulders, I cringe when I receive medicaid or insurance notices, my fuse is shorter, and I am readily admitting this has been hard. Many people say "You're super woman". I am just a woman. One who makes mistakes, one who gets tired, and one who wouldn't make it without the support of amazing nurses and family. I have come to the conclusion that it's important for moms, dads, and families in situations like ours to get a little mental health therapy every now and then. I also believe that vacations are extremely important in high stress situations but almost impossible to obtain. It's been 6 years since we truly got away. However I remind myself to be grateful for everything I have everyday.  Just know I am not a super mom I am just a person just like you and we all need a little support. You would do the same thing for your children if you were in my situation. 

No comments: