Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Jude's update and a recap of Miss Texas Teen USA 2013.

So Jude was released from the hospital on Wednesday night and was able to spend Thanksgiving with me. Since Mike and Em had plans Jude and I stayed home and cooked and watched the parades. We had a good time together. However, I want to point out that Jude was still very ill when they sent him home. The doctor said that he felt Jude would do better at home and he knew we were capable of handling the situation vs others that may not be. I was actually very worried about taking him home because he threw up twice before we could even get him in his wheelchair to leave the hospital. However, he seemed to light up when we got home and seemed to be much happier. He is still coughing, pale, and having a few issues, but he is much happier. We are considering getting a night nurse for a few weeks until he is 100% better. If he should vomit in the middle of the night and aspirate then we take the chance of this happening all over again. Here is a picture from last night when I was talking to him.


Since Jude was home we decided that I would take Emily to her Miss Texas Teen USA competition in Houston. She had trained for it for a year and it was only fair to get her there. On Friday at 2pm I dropped her off to her chaperon. She then checked into her hotel room with her roommate and learned what their schedule would be. I didn't see Emily again until the next morning at 8am when they did a "swimwear preview" of all 101 contestants. Emily looked a little nervous her first time out on the stage (it's a BIG stage), but I was SO proud of her. I am also very glad they did the preview because it gave each girl a chance to get accustomed to the stage prior to competition.


After the 8am show the parents were on their own until 7pm that night. The girls went to interview and 5 hours rehearsals for the big 7pm prelim show. I must say I thought Emily looked very pretty going into interview.

 
Emily was responsible for her own hair and makeup the entire weekend. They do not allow hair/makeup artists to come in. The girls are also responsible for being on time, getting to bed, and keeping their energy up with snacks. They did feed them lunch and dinner at a specified time each day. So it was a lesson in responsibility.

So the 7pm show was GREAT! They did a parade of cities, then they competed in swimwear, and then evening gown. I was so proud of my little 14 year old. She really held her own against all the big girls. I think you can tell from her smile that she was having a great time and loved it


The next day we didn't get to see the girls until 1pm. It was the final show and they put on a full Miss USA type production. I was SO impressed. They did  full dance number (Emily's favorite part) and then they called the top 15. Let me state we KNEW Emily would not be in the top 15 this year. I love my child and I have confidence in her, but honestly she didn't need to win this year. She was there learning the ropes and is still to young to take on the job of Miss Texas Teen USA. They won't generally pick anyone under 16 because it truly is a job. So Emily was not disappointed because she knew she was there to learn. After the competition I asked her "Do you want to do this again?". She was quite for a minute and then said "I am very tired and it's exhausting, but I know it will just get easier each year I do this". So I asked her "well you need to ask yourself do you really want to be Miss Texas Teen USA someday" and she said "Mom I want that job more than you will ever know!! I want to work hard, practice, and learn more so I can get the title someday". However, Em's weekend was not without some stress. She seemed VERY upset Saturday night after competition and this worried me. I finally got it out of her that she accidentally stepped on another girls dress twice coming off stage. This happens... especially with trains! Well I guess the other girl turned around and said "just watch where you are going" and it hurt Emily's feelings. She felt she sabotaged the other girl when it was just an accident. On top of that her roommate had friends there competing and Emily didn't know anyone so she was a bit lonely.........and left in a room by herself. So I explained to her that this was a lesson that it's okay to be alone sometimes and that if you want friends..........go out and make them! Be outgoing and don't be afraid to meet people. I also told her that accidents happen and not to let it get to her.

So overall it was a GREAT .......... but tiring weekend. I am so proud of her and the lessons she learned! On the way home she talked non stop about the people she met, her future goals, the dress she wants, and more. I am glad we went. She also met some people that are local and can help her move forward.  I am also SO thankful that Gina flew into Houston to stay with me. I would have been so lost without her. I am also grateful for Carolyn, Kaylee, Lily, Cara, Kendall, Emily's dad, and Emily's grandparents for attending. Her grandparents even said "we will be here every year that she participates!". Made Em and I feel great.   

So now we rest for awhile! :)

No comments: