Friday, November 9, 2012

I just know Jude

Our good friend Gena and her son Frankie were chosen for the Kidds Kids trip this year. If you aren't familiar with Kidds Kids they take terminally or chronically ill children and their families to Disney World every year. We were very happy that they were chosen. I have been watching the pictures they have been posting showing how much fun they are having. They deserve it! Gena does so much for others including us.

With their trip I have been told several times "You guys should apply for that". I would love it, Emily would love it, but Jude ..............well Jude would hate it! I know my son and I also know that his mental capabilities are not like the children chosen for that trip. There isn't anything wrong with that it's just that I understand there are other children who would enjoy it more. Jude's idea of a great time is being on his futon or being held by his mom. He is a little home body. Would I like to take Jude to Disney World and have him enjoy it? Of course. Would I love to take Emily while she is still at an age that things are new and exciting? Yes. However, I understand and accept that this is not in Jude's best interest. I think sometimes special needs parents push their children to do things that "normal" children do to make themselves feel better rather than looking out for their child's best interest.

So today my cousin adopts her foster child and I am thrilled for her. I am wishing them a life of great things.


1 comment:

Kim C. said...

Very well said. My little Ashley is the same way, she loves being at home and that's ok too.